|Portrayed by:||Ron Perlman|
|First appearance:||Feat of Clay Part I|
|Appears in:||3 Episodes|
- "I'm not an actor anymore! I'm not even... a man."
Matt Hagen, also known as Clayface is a villain in Batman: The Animated Series. His real name is Matt Hagen and he was a noted actor who became the villain Clayface after over-exposure to the chemical Renuyu.
Matt Hagen was an actor working for Imperial Pictures who had been disfigured in a terrible car accident. While recovering in a burn clinic, he was approached by the corrupt industrialist Roland Daggett, who made him a test subject for a compound called "Renuyu" (pronounced "Renew You") that he promised would immediately restore his young good looks. In payment, Hagen impersonated people in an illegal manner for Daggett. Hagen greatly resented this, but was forced to comply, as the Renuyu chemical was extremely addictive and Dagget was the sole producer.
Clayface subsequently attempted to get revenge on Daggett. He posed as an overweight woman in the audience of a talk show where Daggett was promoting Renuyu (after being released on the market) and then morphed back into himself to try and kill him. His efforts were stopped, however, by Batman using footage of Hagen's old movies to remind him of who he was, and thusly, what he has become. Clayface relents, and just prior to his capture by the Dark Knight, fakes his own death.
Clayface then reappeared, coming out of hiding since the events of his vendetta against Daggett. Batman soon discovered that his body was beginning to deteriorate. He was temporarily restored to a semblance of health by a former medical adviser on his films, Dr. Stella Bates, who fell in love with Hagen. She sold her motel in order to raise funds for a laboratory in which to treat him. Batman tracked him down and prevented Dr. Bates' treatment of Clayface, partly because he stole the necessary formula compound from Wayne Biomedical Labs. During the ensuing fight, Hagen's unstable body absorbed too much rainwater to hold its cohesion, fell into the ocean, and he died once his body dissolved in the salt water.
Abilities and EquipmentEdit
- Clayface's unique cellular structure allowed him to transform his body into any shape or form he desires.
- Previously Hagen was a talented actor, this gave him the capability to impersonate people with ease, allowing him to escape arrest frequently.
- Clayface could extend his limbs a considerable distance, and could also control his size and density. Because of this, he was able to fashion blades, spikes, and massive blocks out of his form.
- His amorphous body was able to absorb various objects, which he'd use to suffocate opponents.
- Clayface had the ability to separate himself into different entities at once.
- The BTAS incarnaion of Clayface is a combination of Basil Karlo and Matt Hagen from the comics.